Grandparents Raising Grandchildren

Grandparents and relatives who are raising children whose parents are unable to care for them are called “kinship caregivers”. If you find yourself in this situation, you may have many questions about your legal rights and resources to help you in this very important role.

Do you need help getting started?

The Aging & Disability Resource Center (ADRC) assists elders, persons with disabilities and caregivers in finding services and resources, statewide.

Monday-Friday 7:45am-5pm MT
Toll-Free  1-800-432-2080
Santa Fe  1-505-476-4846
TTY            1-505-476-4937

Click here for resources

AARP: Grandparents Raising Grandchildren

Pegasus Legal Services operates The Guardianship Legal Helpline. Call them at 1-505-244-1101 or statewide phone 1-833-355-6944. Se habla espanol.

They can help you with:

  • Information and advice, regardless of income
  • Legal assistance for low-income people representing themselves, including drafting pleadings and on-going legal help throughout the case
  • Referrals for direct legal representation

Las Cumbres Community Services sponsors the Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Program founded in Espanola, NM. The program provides support, resources, discussion topics, and an end of year conference aimed to foster the growth and well-being of grandparents who are the primary caregivers to their grandchildren in Rio Arriba County and beyond. Call them at 1-505-753-4123 for more information.

USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) Cooperative Extension System has information and materials designed to learn about and provide supportive services to family and relative caregivers. Click here to locate your local county extension office.

I need help. Where do I start? Call us. 1-800-432-2080

Need help? Click here to call us. 1-800-432-2080

Try Searching Click here to search.